It is extremely important for companies to have a social media policy in place because whether they have social media or not, their employees certainly will.
What is a Social Media Policy?
As the Hootsuite article that discusses how to write a social media policy states, “it is a living document that provides guidelines for your organization’s social media use. It covers your brand’s official channels, as well as how employees use social media, both personally and professionally.” This document will need to be frequently updated due to the frequency of change that comes with social media.
What Should be Included in your Social Media Policy?
- Defined team roles
- Established security protocols
- Plan of action for security and PR crises
- An outline of how to comply with the laws you establish
- Guide for how employees should handle personal accounts
- Encouragement for employees to participate in promoting your brand
There are many things to consider when creating a social media policy, but this is a good place to get you to start thinking about how to begin!